There’s no one saying "don’t touch" at the Dennos Museum Center’s Thomas A. Rutkowski Discovery Gallery in Traverse City. The gallery is all about children—and all about hands-on activities. In the gallery kids can "paint" images of themselves on a video screen, use computer graphics to make LOL funny faces, make music on a Sound Wall, play the Laser Harp, defy gravity at the Anti-Gravity Mirror and peek into space at the Hubbell Space Telescope Theater. Admission to the Dennos is $6 for adults and $4 for children. The museum is open 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sundays and 10 a.m to 5 p.m. the rest of the week. 231-995-1055, dennosmuseum.org.
Relax. While you’re having fun with your kids, the folks at the Blue Tractor Cook Shop on Union Street in Traverse City have you covered for dinner—and the kids aren’t going to cost you a penny. Two children eat free with one paying adult on Sundays at Blue Tractor from a well-rounded children’s menu that includes a green salad (shock!) and fruit. The only very small caveat is that the paying adult sign up for the Blue Tractor newsletter, either at the restaurant or online. 231-922-9515, bluetractorcookshop.
More Ideas for Kids Up North
- Kids Up North: Give them the Earth for 25 cents at the State Theatre in Traverse City
- Kids Up North: Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Junior Rangers Program
- Kids Up North Video: Harvesting Wild Leeks and Making Potato Leek Soup
- Kids Up North: Grow a Pizza
- Kids Up North: Book A Mini Cruise on the SS Badger and Kids Sail Free
- Kids Up North: Biking the Little Traverse Wheelway from Harbor Springs to Charlevoix