Executive Chef Darren Hawley of Crystal Mountain Resort in Thompsonville prepares Smoked Pheasant and Morel Galantine with Pickled Beet and Goat Cheese Gateau for MyNorth.com’s local foods video showdown.
When MyNorth.com challenged Crystal Mountain Resort’s Executive Chef Darren Hawley to our local foods showdown he accepted with gusto and prepared an exquisitely delicious Smoked Pheasant and Morel Galantine with Pickled Beet and Goat Cheese Gateau for a MyNorth.com video. In accordance with the rules of the showdown, 90 percent of the ingredients for this dish are from Northern Michigan and another 5 percent are from Michigan, making it a 95 percent made-in-Michigan dish.
Here is a list of the local ingredients Hawley used in the dish:
- Pheasant, Bakers Green Acres, Marion, 231-825-0293
- Pork Butt, Rice Centennial Farms, Benzonia, 231-882-5937
- Morels and wild leeks, locally foraged by the Hawley family: Darren, Meghan, Jack, Emma, Wynn, Grace and their new puppy, Elizabeth
- Lovage and mizuna lettuce, Werp Farms, Karlin, 231-263-2111
- Red pepper flakes, Mike Sandberg, Manistee
- Beets, Victory Farms, Hudsonville, 616-669-7695
- Goat Cheese, Halpin’s Land of Goshen at Douglas Valley, Manistee, 231-360-7176
More Chef Showdown: Local Foods Videos
Watch Martha Ryan, of Martha’s Leelanau Table Prepare Leelanau Raclette Fondue with over 90% local foods from Northern Michigan. And then get the recipe.
Watch Eric Nittolo of the Boathouse Restaurant prepare Rack of Lamb with Parsnip Puree.
Watch Sam Hybel of Gusto in Suttons Bay prepare Asparagus with White Wine Sauce.
Watch Chef John Piombo of Nonna’s at The Homestead in Glen Arbor prepare Goat Cheese and Kale Spelt Ravioli with Roasted Rabbit, Aspargus and Cream
Watch Randy Chamberlain of Blu in Glen Arbor prepare malted cherry ice cream.