Chef John Piombo of Nonna’s at The Homestead in Glen Arbor prepares Goat Cheese and Kale Spelt Ravioli with Roasted Rabbit Asparagus and Cream for MyNorth.com’s local foods video showdown.
When MyNorth.com challenged Chef John Piombo of Nonna's at The Homestead in Glen Arbor to our local foods showdown he accepted with gusto and prepared Goat Cheese and Kale Spelt Ravioli with Roasted Rabbit Aspargus and Cream for a MyNorth.com video. In accordance with the rules of the showdown, 90 percent of the ingredients for this dish are from Northern Michigan and another 5 percent are from Michigan, making it a 95 percent made-in-Michigan dish.
Watch the video to learn Chef Piombo's technique. Then click to find the recipes for Goat Cheese and Kale Spelt Ravioli with Roasted Rabbit Asparagus and Cream.
Here is a list of the local ingredients Piombo used in the dish:
- Asparagus, Norconk Farms, Empire
- White wine, Circa Estate Winery, Lake Leelanau, 231-271-1177
- Butter, eggs, kale, caprine and assorted veggies, Halpin's Land of Goshen at Douglas Valley, Manistee, 231-360-7176
- Herbs, Hudsonville, 616-669-7695
- Cream, Shetler's Dairy, Kalkaska, 231-258-8218, shetlermilk.com
- Spelt, Vita Spelt, Purity Foods, Okemos, 517-351-9231, purityfoods.com
- Rabbit, Bunny Hop Ranch, Cedar, 231-228-5102
More Chef Showdown: Local Foods Videos
- Watch the first Chef Showdown: Local Foods with Crystal Mountain Resort's Executive Chef Darren Hawley. Chef Hawley prepares Smoked Pheasant and Morel Galantine with Pickled Beet and Goat Cheese Gateau, made with over 90% local foods from Northern Michigan.
- Watch Martha Ryan, of Martha's Leelanau Table Prepare Leelanau Raclette Fondue with over 90% local foods from Northern Michigan. And then get the recipe.
- Watch Eric Nittolo of the Boathouse Restaurant prepare Rack of Lamb with Parsnip Puree.
- Watch Sam Hybel of Gusto in Suttons Bay prepare asparagus with white wine sauce.
- Watch Randy Chamberlain of Blu in Glen Arbor prepare malted cherry ice cream.
- Watch Joseph George of Grand Traverse Resort prepare Bacon and Eggs with Smoked Steelhead Roe