Memorial Day Weekend in Northern Michigan is filled with fabulous Memorial Day Weekend events. Here are just some of the best Michigan lodging, Michigan attractions and Michigan restaurant ideas and deals. Whether you live here and need a stay-cation or are traveling for your Michigan getaway, this Memorial Day Weekend Planner will fill your weekend with adult and family fun.
Driving Up North this Memorial Day? Learn about highway closures throughout Michigan here.
Northern Michigan Restaurants By the Water
In the Traverse City area, average high temps for Memorial Day weekend are about 73 degrees, with record highs soaring to 92 to 95 degrees (yikes!). If Mother Nature complies, we suggest you find a restaurant on the water at least once this weekend. Click on the link below to find the perfect place along the shores of Lake Michigan or Northern Michigan’s inland lakes and rivers from the Traverse Magazine Dining Guide, which is printed in the back of every issue. These same restaurants—more than 200—are also in the MyNorth Dining Guide, so visit MyNorth.com whenever you’re looking to find the perfect spot for a Northern Michigan meal.
But—in case it does cool down—here are 8 Cool-Temp Memorial Day Weekend Ideas Around Traverse City
Great Family Activities
Kids and adults will have a blast during Northern Michigan at one of several annual events that coincide with Memorial Day Weekend. In Traverse City, catch the Beach Bums—Northern Michigan’s own professional baseball team—at Wuerfel Park. Or have a rocking time at the Petoskey Stone Festival in Eastport, just a stone’s throw from Torch Lake. From Mackinac Island to Ludington, there’s always something going down during Memorial Day Weekend, and the following links should guide you to family-friendly events and activities:
- 10 Northern Michigan Memorial Day Activities
- Kids Activities During Memorial Day in Northern Michigan
Memorial Day Activities by Area:
- Top 10 Traverse City Activities on Memorial Day
- Mackinac Island Memorial Day Activities
- How to Have the Best Memorial Day Weekend in Leland
- Memorial Day Programs at the Sleeping Bear Dunes
Pay Your Respects
Memorial Day has become something of a hectic holiday, yet at its heart the day is a commemoration to veterans and active-duty servicemen and servicewomen. A list of parades and memorials in Northern Michigan towns can be found below:
Calling All Runners
Two amazing races will be taking place over Memorial Day Weekend in Northern Michigan:
- Mackinaw Memorial Bridge Race — Saturday, May 24th: Run the Mighty Mackinac Bridge from Mackinaw City! The 5.6-mile run costs about $45, depending on when you register. Entry includes: race across the Mackinac Bridge, official race bib, race chip technology, official race T-shirt, commemorative medal, transportation to starting area, awards for division winners and hot breakfast. Learn more at MackinawCity.com.
- Bayshore Marathon — Saturday, May 24th: The 32nd edition of this Traverse City mainstay courses the Old Mission Peninsula; unless you’re already registered, you’re probably too late—the Bayshore books up quickly. Learn more at MyNorth’s Community Events Calendar.
For those adults looking to get a taste of the many wine, beer and spirit offerings of Northern Michigan, might we recommend:
- Beer & Brat Festival — Saturday, May 24th: Taking place at Crystal Mountain Resort & Spa near Traverse City, sample over 50 of Michigan’s finest microbrews and ciders, specialty brats with a range of flavors from spicy jalapeno to tart cherry, giant Bavarian pretzels and live music. Learn more at MyNorth’s Community Events Calendar.
- Wander the Wine Trails of Old Mission & Leelanau Peninsulas —Northern Michigan wine country is waiting to be tasted! For Leelanau trail maps: LPWines.com, and for Old Mission: WineriesOfOldMission.com.
- Get your shine on at the “Here Comes The Sun” Party — A Leland Memorial Weekend tradition, the annual “Here Comes the Sun” bash is guaranteed to be a good time. Learn more at: TheCoveLeland.com
For the Adventurous
- Zipline and Ropes Challenge Course at Pirates Cove — Safely snap into Pirate’s Cove’s lofty pirate rigging, step off the plank and soar through the air for 750 combined feet on the zipline! Or, discover your “inner pirate” on the Challenge Course: you’ll enter a hidden buccaneer’s roost located high in the rigging of an old ship wreck and navigate your way through a series of rope obstacles on two levels, situated up to 33 feet off the ground! Fun and safe for all ages. Call 231.938.9599 or visit PiratesCove.com.
- Zipline Adventure at Boyne — Open year round at Boyne Highlands and Boyne Mountain resorts and offered on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays with added days during holiday periods during winter months. Three sessions daily on open days; 10am, 1pm and 3:30pm. Lines measure up to 500ft in length and up to 50ft high. Call 800.462.6963, or visit Boyne.com.
- Alpine Slide at Crystal Mountain — Michigan’s only alpine slide! Riders take the Loki triple chairlift to the top of the mountain, hop on a specially-designed sled, and cruise down one of two parallel 250-foot-high, 1,600-foot-long curved tracks as they curve and dip their way down the mountain. Family day pass: $79. Call 231.378.2000 ext. 7000 or visit CrystalMountain.com.
All Golf, All the Time
The grass is green, the lawns are mowed, and the golf is good. Find your Northern Michigan golf escape in one of the following links:
- Spring Golf Packages and Room Specials from Northern Michigan Ski Resorts
- Boyne Golf Packages
- Golf Specials from the Grand Traverse Resort
More Northern Michigan Vacation
Cornerstone: Memorial Day