Winter Trails Day is an annual celebration throughout Northern Michigan that makes it easy for people to get into the Northern Michigan woods in winter, including cross country ski and snowshoe rentals and lessons.
Every year, on a January weekend, Northern Michigan celebrates Winter Trails Day. The day is filled with activities at trails throughout the region, including lessons in snowshoeing and cross country skiing. The Cross Country Ski Headquarters in Roscommon offered lessons, free rentals to first-timers, tours, hot dogs and prizes. Lessons, rentals and tours could be found at Crystal Mountain Resort & Spa in Thompsonville, Hartwick Pines State Park in Grayling, The Homestead Resort in Glen Arbor, Rapid River National Cross Country Ski and Snowshoe Trail in Rapid River, Shanty Creek Resort in Bellaire and the TART Trails in Traverse City. There were also Nordic Ski Walking lessons in Glen Arbor.
In this video, you’ll see people of all ages showing up at the VASA trail in Traverse City for lessons and a few hours on the trails. Pam Darling of TART, talks about the fun of the day and the joy in helping people get outside and learn to love winter.
Look for cross-country ski rentals and lessons at ski resorts in Northern Michigan. In addition, these stores participated in the Winter Trails Day by offering rentals.
More Cross-Country & Snowshoe Fun
- 8 Ski-Out-Your-Door Vacation Spots
- Cross Country Ski and Snowshoe Package Deals in Northern Michigan
- Mackinac Island Ski Getaway
- Affordable North: Ski Traverse City’s VASA Trail Now
- Affordable North: A Great Ski and a Fab Margarita in Benzie County
- Video: How to Choose the Right Cross Country Skis
- Snow Getaway at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
- Video: Backcountry Outfitter’s Tips for Choosing and Sizing Snowshoes
- Snowshoeing in U.P.’s McCormick Outback
- Affordable North: Snowshoe Hike and Dinner in Traverse City
- Affordable North: Dunes Snowshoe and Dinner at Fischer’s Happy Hour