Winter fun and friendly competition go hand in hand at the North American VASA weekend, February 12-14. Events kickoff with a pasta dinner Friday night, Feb. 12, followed by the North American VASA on Saturday, February 13. Come back on Sunday, February 14, for the Gran Traverse Cross Country Classic and the all-new Vasa Valentine’s Day Tour. Read on for details:
North American VASASaturday, February 13th, 2010
12km and 27km — Freestyle and Classic50km — Freestyle only
VASA Race Start Times:27 km Classic – 8:30 am
27 km Freestyle – 9:30
50 km Freestyle – 9:00 am
12 km Classic – 9:50 am
12 km Freestyle – 9:45 am
Jr. VASA Freestyle/Classic – 12:30 pmAwards – Hagerty Center, 5:30 pm
Packet Pick-Up will begin at noon on February 12th and run until 9:00 PM at the Timber Ridge Resort. Click here for a map to Timber Ridge.
Sat 7:30 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. at the Timber Ridge Resort
The Vasa is part of the American Ski Marathon Series and the Michigan cup series of cross country ski races.
To register online click here. Online registration will be closed at 5 PM on February 11th.
North America VASA Race Fees:
Before Jan. 10, 2010
27 km – $34
50 km – $50
Jan. 11 – Feb. 7, 2010
27 km – $50
50 km – $60
Feb. 8 – Feb. 12th, 2010
27 km – $60
50 km – $70
Saturday (race day)
27 km – $65
50 km – $75
12 km Fee
12 km* – $20
Family Rate – $50
American Waste Jr. VASA Races
$5 per person*
* No fee deadline
** No fee deadline, not timed, 10 km only
Gran TraversCross Country Classic
Sunday morning, February 14, 2010Event Location: Timber Ridge Resort, 4050 Hammond Rd. Traverse City
• Classic-only ski races (no skating) on loop courses on the Vasa trail system• Part of the North American Vasa weekend Festival of Races
• Trails groomed with two sets of classic tracks. Easy to pass and be passed.
• Ideal for recreational skiers who want the challenge of a timed race
AND a competitive event that qualifies for Michigan Cup points.
• Two distances: 16 km (starts at 9:00 am) and 6 km (starts at 9:15 am)
• $25 (16K) or $15 (6K) registration includes a16K aid station and hot soup,
snacks, door prizes, and medals at the finish. Register online at To register online click here or day of event from 7:30 am.
VASA VALENTINE’S DAY TOUR
Vasa Valentine’s TourSunday, February 14, 2010
Noon to 4 pm
Event Location: Timber Ridge Resort, 4050 Hammond Rd. Traverse CityEquipment rentals available, call (231) 947-2770 to reserve
• NON-COMPETITIVE FUN EVENT! For novices to experienced skiers.Ski with friends or special someone. Skiing begins at noon.
• PRIZES FOR BEST RED/PINK SKI OUTFITSJudging from 12 noon to 1 :30 pm as you head out to the trails.
• APRES-SKI AROUND THE FIREPLACE from 2 pm – 4 pm• Live music by T.C. Celtic
• Food, refreshments, and chocolate
• Presentation of gourmet chocolate basket awards
for best red/pink Valentine’s ski outfits
• Register online at www.vasa.org or day of event from 12 noon to 1 :30 pm.$20 registration. Benefits Munson’s Women’s Heart. Health Program
Three loops,immaculately groomed with 2 sets of tracks for Classic Skiing
Gourmet chocolate baskets prizes from these local chocolatiers: Chocolate Exotica, Benjamin Twiggs, Annie’s, and The Chocolate Den
Make Valentine’s Day special with a relaxed ski outing in the beautiful Pere Marquette Forest. Come ski with your friends or special someone on immaculately groomed trails.
A new event for 2010, the Valentine’s Day Tour will start at noon on Sunday. Music and special treats (think Chocolate) will be provided and a portion of the proceeds will benefit the new Munson’s Women Heart Health program. All skiers will be urged to wear red or pink outfits and a prize will be awarded for the best costume.
For more information: vasa.org