Join this small town celebration as downtown Petoskey kicks off the season with a Holiday Open House. Always held on the first Friday of December, the celebration begins when Santa arrives and lights the giant Christmas tree in Pennsylvania Park. The streets are filled with carolers, the Petoskey High School Steel Drum Band and cups of soup are provided by the Petoskey Snowmobile Club. Merchants open their decorated shops to holiday shoppers, offering cozy spots to wander hand-picked merchandise and often sip a cup of coffee or cocoa.
This year, the downtown celebration included a Clash of the Choirs, a fun "competition" throughout the downtown, between area musical groups. The "winner" was chosen in a public vote.
This small town holiday celebration is emblematic of celebrations happening in small villages throughout Northern Michigan. All over the North, communities comes out to sing, greet Santa, light beautiful trees and wander the small, beautifully decorated shops that offer cozy spots on a snowy night, filled with hand-picked merchandise that the shop owner is more than happy to talk about. A holiday night in a Northern Michigan town reminds us all why community, lovely downtowns, unique shops and true character are such a wonderful and important part of our lives. So, sit back and enjoy the holiday sights and sounds of Petoskey and then don't miss the chance to see the holidays in their most welcoming and beautiful way yourself—in our towns and villages Up North!
More Links to Fun in Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor and the Little Traverse Region!
- The Complete Restaurant Guide for Petoskey, Harbor Springs and Bay Harbor: Just pop in the location where you'd like to eat and browse the wonderful array of restaurant choices.
- Check out all the music, holiday events, festivals, art and events of all kinds happening in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Torch Lake!
- The Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Guide: Browse gorgeous articles connecting you to perfect beaches, Bayview Festivals, the Tunnel of Trees, ethnic eats and more.and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Tour Gorgeous Harbor Springs
- Video: Drive the Tunnel of Trees from Harbor Springs to Good Hart
- Video: A Musical Visit to Bay View
- Video: A Day in Petoskey
- Plot your day in Petoskey/Harbor Springs using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I'd like to find" and choose Petoskey, Harbor Springs or a nearby town for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a cottage in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor: There hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you're interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!