Whether national traveling exhibits, such as River of Gold, or music groups from around the globe, the Dennos Museum Center, at Northwestern Michigan College in Traverse City, offers a beautiful and exciting window to the world.
Wander the sights and sounds of the Dennos Museum Center at Northwestern Michigan College in Traverse City. Sit back as we wander from the sounds of Street Drum Corps performing in Milliken Auditorium to the three changing exhibit galleries, the sculpture court, the hands-on Discovery Gallery and the renowned Inuit Art Gallery.
Opened in 1991, the Dennos Museum Center has been host to some of the nation’s most impressive traveling exhibits, such as the current exhibit River of Gold: Precolumbian Treasures from Sitio Conte. This exhibit displays more than 120 spectacularly crafted pieces of Pre-Columbian gold work from the University of Pennsylvania Museum’s 1940 excavations at the ancient cemetery site of Sitio Conte, in what is now central Panama.
Large embossed plaques, cast pendants and nose ornaments, gold-sheathed ear rods and necklaces of intricate beads, as well as polychrome ceramics and objects made of precious and semi-precious stones, whale-tooth ivory and bone are just some of the stunning pieces displayed. Visitors will get an invaluable glimpse into a Panamanian society as it was 1,000 years ago.
Music from across town or from across the world fills the stage at Milliken Auditorium. The 2009-2010 schedule for the Milliken includes performers such as Bob James and Keiko Matsui, Esparanza Spaulding, the Celtic band Dervish.
Dennos Museum Center Info
www.dennosmuseum.org, 1701 E. Front St., Traverse City, MI 49686
(231) 995-1055, [email protected]
Milliken Box Office
(231) 995-1553, [email protected]
Mon-Sat 10 am – 5 pmSun 1 – 5 pm
Thurs – Open until 8pmClosed on major holidays
Adults $6 Children $4No charge to museum members and NMC students
Quick Links to More Fun in the Traverse City region
- The Complete Traverse City Restaurant Guide
- The Traverse City Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Traverse City music, festivals, arts and hundreds of events
- Traverse City Digital Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete digital Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Traverse City’s Guide to Fun!
- Video: City Opera House in Traverse City is Brimming with Events
- Video: Friday Night Live Has TC’s Front Street Hopping
- Get your copy of 101 Ways to Love Traverse City
- Flying in or out of Traverse City? Take a video tour of the Cherry Capital Airport to learn all you need to know.
- Plot your day in Traverse City using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in “I’d like to find” and choose Traverse City for “in a town near.” Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage in Traverse City
- Beaches near Traverse City