On New Year’s Eve, downtown Traverse City will turn into a mini Times Square—with a cherry twist.
The first-ever Cherry-T Ball Drop will be a come-all New Year celebration, with ice carving, music, and most importantly, an eight-foot cherry slowly dropping as the seconds tick down to midnight. The "cherry"—actually a heavy red rubber Zorb globe with a green "stem"—will descend from a 300-foot crane at the corner of Park and Front Streets, in downtown’s 200 block. "From the sky, it’ll look exactly like a giant cherry," says Brian Sweebe, an organizer for the event.
The entire block will be closed off starting at 6 p.m. for the event, with a stage and tents set up for entertainment. Families can arrive early to watch ice carving demonstrations; a live band will take the stage at 10:30 p.m. The event is free, with Goodwill Industries onsite to collect canned goods and personal hygene items for locals in need.
For more information on the Cherry-T Ball Drop, visit cherrytballdrop.com.
Quick Links to More Fun in the Traverse City region
- The Complete Traverse City Restaurant Guide
- The Traverse City Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Traverse City music, festivals, arts and hundreds of events
- Traverse City Digital Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete digital Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Traverse City’s Guide to Fun!
- Video: City Opera House in Traverse City is Brimming with Events
- Video: Friday Night Live Has TC’s Front Street Hopping
- Get your copy of 101 Ways to Love Traverse City
- Flying in or out of Traverse City? Take a video tour of the Cherry Capital Airport to learn all you need to know.
- Plot your day in Traverse City using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Traverse City for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage in Traverse City
- Beaches near Traverse City