President Obama and Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau put Northern Michigan ice wine on the map when they sipped Chateau Chantal Ice Wine at a state dinner at the White House. Read on for more about Northern Michigan ice wine!
Just after the first frost, Northern Michigan vintners take to their chilly vineyards to pick the select grapes they’ve let freeze. These will be pressed into ice wine, the dessert wine some call the nektar of the gods. Here are 5 great dessert wines to savor this season. Whether sipping after a meal or by the fire, these rich, sweet wines will warm your soul. To read about how ice wine is harvested and produced, check out Making Ice Wine in Northern Michigan.
2013 Ice Wine Riesling
$95 231.271.1188, fortyfivenorth.com
Ice Wine Pinot Grigio (grapes picked January 3, 2012).
$75. 231.228.4800, bellago.com
Black Star Farms
2013 A Capella Ice Wine
$92.50. 231.944.1270, blackstarfarms.com
2013 Ice Wine
$70. 800.969.4009, chateauchantal.com
2012 Tundra Ice Wine
$49. 231.256.2115, verterrawinery.com
Wine Tips, Tours and Travel in Traverse City, Old Mission and Leelanau
- Savor Leelanau’s Wine Country
- Old Mission Peninsula Wine Country
- Video: Sit Back and Tour Northern Michigan Wine Country
- Northern Michigan Sparkling Wines
- Water and Wine Weekends
- Video: Tapas and Wine Touring at Old Mission’s Chateau Chantal
- Four Pinot Noir Picks from Old Mission and Leelanau Wineries
- Video: Chateau Grand Traverse Talks Rieslings
- Michigan Beer and Wine Dinners at Boyne
- Video: Mark Johnson of Chateau Chantal Demonstrates Wine Tasting
- Traverse City’s Urban Winery
- See Wine Country by Bike
- Subscribe to MyNorth’s Food & Wine Newsletter: It’s free!
- Romancing the Riesling
- Video: Sommeliers Come to Northern Michigan to Taste Leelanau Wines