Mark Johnson, winemaker for Chateau Chantal Vineyard on the Old Mission Peninsula near Traverse City, demonstrates the steps to effective wine tasting.
As part of our Made In Northern Michigan Series, Mark Johnson, winemaker for Chateau Chantal on Old Mission near Traverse City, demonstrates the steps to follow when tasting wine.
Mark has been the winemaker for Chateau Chantal since its beginning. The story of Chateau Chantal begins in 1983 when Robert and Nadine purchased 60 acres of cherry orchards. They spent the next seven years clearing the land, planting various grape varieties and purchasing additional land. Chateau Chantal opened in 1993 as a winery and a three-room, French-styled B & B with spectacular views. In 1993 the B & B was expanded to include 8 more rooms.
Chateau Chantal produces many varieties of wine including Riesling, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and more as well as hosting wine tasting events, tapas tours, jazz evenings and much more. Be sure and check out their events.
Give the gift of wine this year with a Chateau Chantal Wine Club membership.
Wine Tips, Tours and Travel in Traverse City, Old Mission and Leelanau
- Savor Leelanau’s Wine Country
- Old Mission Peninsula Wine Country
- Video: Sit Back and Tour Northern Michigan Wine Country
- Northern Michigan Sparkling Wines
- Water and Wine Weekends
- Video: Tapas and Wine Touring at Old Mission’s Chateau Chantal
- Four Pinot Noir Picks from Old Mission and Leelanau Wineries
- Michigan Beer and Wine Dinners at Boyne
- Traverse City’s Urban Winery
- See Wine Country by Bike
- Subscribe to MyNorth’s Food & Wine Newsletter: It’s free!
- Romancing the Riesling