The low-impact nature of kayaking makes it one of the few sports that people can pursue throughout their lives. But few kayakers of retirement age could match the paddling résumé of Michigan resident Stan Chladek, who will bring his stories of a life spent on the water to Traverse City’s InsideOut Gallery this Monday, November 9.
In a talk and slideshow irreverently titled, "On the World’s Oceans with a Kayak, or, Why I Could Not Be Employed," the paddling legend will introduce audiences to the unforgiving seas, rugged coasts, and marine wildlife that have been the setting to his decades-long career in the sport.
Chladek’s adventures have taken him to waters in North America, Europe, Australia and Antarctica, but it was his 1999 circumnavigation of Easter Island with fellow paddler Nigel Dennis, a first for sea-kayakers, that solidified his status in the paddling world.
After Chladek and his wife, Ema, won a mixed-team paddling title at the Whitewater World Championships in Austria, the couple opened Great River Outfitters sea kayak company in the metro Detroit area in 1972. Now in his 70′s, Stan is officially retired from the retail business. A retirement from the sport, however, still appears to be a ways off.
Chladek’s talk and slideshow start at 7 p.m. There is no fee for the event, but reservations are required. To reserve a spot, call Backcountry Outfitters at 231-946-1339.
More on Paddling in Northern Michigan
- Restaurants and Inns Fill this 4-Day Kayak Tour of Chain of Lakes
- Kayaking the Archipelago of the Gods
- Kayak Safety Tips for Fall Color Tour Paddling
- Kayaking Keweenaw Peninsula
- Old Mission Gourmet Kayak Trips
- Fish From a Kayak
- Kayak Lake Superior’s Shoreline
- Kayak the Crystal River
- Kayaking Beaver Island’s Waters: What to Know
- Float Away on the Manistee
- Search MyNorth.com for "kayak" and get even more!
Quick Links to More Fun in the Traverse City region
- The Traverse City Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Traverse City Digital Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete digital Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Traverse City’s Guide to Fun!
- The Complete Traverse City Restaurant Guide
- Video: Friday Night Live Has TC’s Front Street Hopping
- Get your copy of 101 Ways to Love Traverse City
- Flying in or out of Traverse City? Take a video tour of the Cherry Capital Airport to learn all you need to know.
- Plot your day in Traverse City using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Traverse City for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage in Traverse City
- Traverse City music, festivals, arts and hundreds of events
- Beaches near Traverse City