Think of Traverse City’s Dennos Museum’s "Stories, Scribbles and Wiggles Toddler Program" as an early start on social studies. Once a month throughout the winter, tots ages three to five and their parents or grandparents can participate in activities built around the Dennos’ permanent and visiting exhibits. You’ll get a guided tour of an exhibit and a read-aloud story and art project that relate directly to the exhibit. All for just one dollar above and beyond regular museum admission.
“Sometimes people are intimidated to bring young children into museums,” says Diana Bolander, curator of education and interpretation at the Dennos. “Stories, Scribbles and Wiggles allows parents to introduce young children to the museum experience and make it fun and relevant at the same time.”
Upcoming programs focus on American Woodland Indians, Precolumbian society in ancient Panama, and Polar Bears and Narwhals. And, while you’re there, make sure to stop by the Discovery Gallery for the hands on interactive science stuff. Fun for your little one… and you!
Be sure also to check out Family Day at the Dennos on Saturday, November 21 from 11am to 3pm. There will be art activities and gallery hunts as well as a concert with composer, blues pianist, singer/songwriter Corky Siegel. He’ll present “The Music and the Joy of Diversity Family Workshop” at 1:00 pm. Corky will show you and your family how music truly is a universal language that brings people together. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for kids under 18 and are available at dennosmuseum.org or by calling (231) 995-1553.
Stories, Scribbles and Wiggles Toddler Program
Thursday, October 29, 2009, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm, Woodland Indian Baskets and Myths
Thursday, November 19, 2009, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm, All that Glitters is Gold
Thursday, December 10, 2009, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm, Polar Bears and NarwhalsThese programs for children ages 3 to 5 and their parents or grandparents includes activities in the galleries, a related story, and an art project. Museum admission applies (member’s admission waived) plus a $1 art supply fee. Reservations requested. Contact Diana Bolander at [email protected] or (231) 995-1029 to register. Preschool groups interested in similar programs please call (231) 995-1029 to schedule a tour.
Quick Links to More Fun in the Traverse City region
- The Traverse City Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Traverse City Digital Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete digital Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Traverse City’s Guide to Fun!
- The Complete Traverse City Restaurant Guide
- Video: Friday Night Live Has TC’s Front Street Hopping
- Get your copy of 101 Ways to Love Traverse City
- Flying in or out of Traverse City? Take a video tour of the Cherry Capital Airport to learn all you need to know.
- Plot your day in Traverse City using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Traverse City for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage in Traverse City
- Traverse City music, festivals, arts and hundreds of events
- Beaches near Traverse City