The lastest A-list entry onto the North’s brewing scene is Jolly Pumpkin Restaurant and Brewery, which set up shop on Old Mission Peninsula in the former Bowery, attached to Bower’s Harbor Inn. Jolly Pumpkin brings a shining beer pedigree, built off the original Jolly Pumpkin that Ron Jeffries opened in Dexter, Michigan, almost six years ago.
Jeffries has won national and international praise for his brewing talent, including appearing on the cover of Saveur magazine, the highly respected food publication. Mike Hall, who carries a big beer reputation of his own, is the brewer on site. As this issue went to press, Hallwas traveling to Prague to inspect new bottling equipment, and welders were putting finishing touches on Jolly Pumpkin Old
Mission’s new brewing system. Expect fine flavors here. 231-223-8700, www.jollypumpkin.com.
More About Northern Michigan Beers
- Take Your Own Northern Michigan Microbrew Tour
- Long Days for Joe Short, Brewmaster
- Video: Traverse City Brewers Show You How It’s Done
- The Creative World of Traverse City’s Right Brain Brewery
- Follow the Hops Trail to Northern Michigan Microbrews
- Northern Michigan Microbrews Are Winners in This Poll
- Locally Grown Hops from Old Mission Flavor New Ale
- Brewie File: Tom Buchanan
- Tap into Traverse City’s Brew Pubs
- So A Girl Walks Into A Bar: Traverse City Nightlife