Witness Great Lakes maritime history come alive at the Michigan Schooner Festival, held September 11-13 in Traverse City. Historical reenactments are just one of the highlights; also on deck for the weekend are sailing and schooner tours on the tall ships Madeline and Welcome, a “Pancakes with Pirates” breakfast, children’s activities and live music featuring Song of the Lakes, the Wild Sullys, and Lee Murdoch.
Sponsored by the Maritime Heritage Alliance, the festival will be held at Traverse City’s Clinch Marina and Open Space, right on Grand Traverse Bay. Admission is $5 per person. For more information or to purchase advance tickets (which guarantees you a spot on one of the schooner sails), visit michiganschoonerfestival.org or call the Maritime Heritage Alliance at 231-946-2647.
Click on the 2009 Traverse City Vacation Guide
Find ideas, tips and hundreds of links to fun, food, activities and recreation to pack around your visit to the Michigan Schooner Festival.
Quick Links to More Fun in the Traverse City region
- The Traverse City Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Video: Traverse City’s Guide to Fun!
- The Complete Traverse City Restaurant Guide
- Video: Friday Night Live Has TC’s Front Street Hopping
- Get your copy of 101 Ways to Love Traverse City
- Flying in or out of Traverse City? Take a video tour of the Cherry Capital Airport to learn all you need to know.
- Plot your day in Traverse City using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Traverse City for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage in Traverse City
- Traverse City music, festivals, arts and hundreds of events
- Beaches near Traverse City