How many counties offer up an island for their citizens—and visitors—to hang out on and explore and even camp on if they are so inclined? Not many. But Grand Traverse County does. It’s called Power Island, a 202-acre forested mound that sits just 2.6 miles (that’s within paddling distance in good weather) from Bowers Harbor on West Grand Traverse Bay. On warm summer days, the picnic ground on the island’s southeast side is the go-to gathering place for Traverse City’s motorboat set. But solitude can still be found with a short hike on the marked trails. Five rustic campsites are available on attached 2-acre Bassett Island, reachable along a short isthmus. A caretaker couple lives on Power Island all summer to keep trails, campground and beach shipshape. Boat launch at Bowers Harbor. Campsites $15/night. Reservations, 231-922-4818.
Click on the 2009 Traverse City Vacation Guide
Find ideas, tips and hundreds of links to fun, food, activities and recreation to pack around your adventure to Power Island.
Quick Links to More Fun in the Traverse City region
- The Traverse City Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Traverse City Digital Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete digital Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Traverse City’s Guide to Fun!
- The Complete Traverse City Restaurant Guide
- Video: Friday Night Live Has TC’s Front Street Hopping
- Get your copy of 101 Ways to Love Traverse City
- Flying in or out of Traverse City? Take a video tour of the Cherry Capital Airport to learn all you need to know.
- Plot your day in Traverse City using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Traverse City for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage in Traverse City
- Traverse City music, festivals, arts and hundreds of events
- Beaches near Traverse City