Leave the car behind and hit the water for your Northern Michigan color tour. The Keweenaw Star, a 100-foot tour boat that voyages along Lake Charlevoix and Lake Michigan for sunset and shoreline cruises, takes passengers (weather permitting) past the best views of fall colors, sunsets and scenery from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday. An additional tour from 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday will run throughout the end of fall. Kraig and Jason Funkey and Kevin Juntunen of Houghton crew the spacious boat which can fit up to 149 passengers, complete with a climate controlled cabin inside and full bar.
The boat originally cruised the Keweenaw Peninsula shoreline, but headed south late this summer. “We like this area and what is has to offer,” Juntunen says. “Charlevoix does tourism the right way. The city and locals have been very receptive to our arrival. Next year we plan to be back the entire summer.”
Besides blue water and flaming hills, don't be surprised if you pass a freighter on your color tour. Reservations are recommended. Find the Keweenaw Star docked at the Beaver Island ferry dock in downtown Charlevoix, 231-237-9365. keweenawexcursions.com.
Color Tours to Fill the Season
- 6 Favorite Northern Michigan Color Tours
- Color Tour the West Coast of Leelanau County
- Lake Country Color: A Journey in Pictures
- Champion Tree Color Tour
- Paddle the Colors of the Sturgeon River
- Color Loop: Gaylord's Pigeon River Country
More Fun in Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids, Torch Lake and the Chain of Lakes Region!
- The Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids & Torch Lake Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids & Torch Lake Digital Vacation Guide: Browse gorgeous articles connecting you to hikes, festivals, boat rentals, galleries and, of course, the Ironton Ferry and click to hundreds of websites.
- The Charlevoix, Boyne City, Elk Rapids & Torch Lake "Don't Miss" List
- Video: The Wonders of Grass River Natural Area
- The Complete Restaurant Guide for Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids & Torch Lake: Just type in any location you'd like to check out and discover a wonderful array of restaurants to try.
- Video: Charlevoix: Sights & Sounds of the Venetian Festival
- Plot your day in Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids & Torch Lake Region using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I'd like to find" and choose a town for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Check out all the music, festivals, arts and events of all kinds happening in Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids, Torch Lake and more: Just pop in the name of the town you'd like to play in and choose amongst hundreds of things to do!
- Rent a cottage in Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids & Torch Lake: There are hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you're interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!
Click on the 2009 Charlevoix, Boyne City, Chain of Lakes Vacation Guide
Find ideas, tips and hundreds of links to fun, food, activities and recreation to pack around you cruise on the Keweenau Star!