Does the ghost of former keeper-of- the-light Captain Peter Nelson really haunt the Grand Traverse Lighthouse? Spend the day at this circa 1858 landmark on Leelanau Peninsula’s watery tip and decide for yourself. When you’re not listening for creaking floor-boards, climb the tightly wound spiral steps to the lighthouse tower for a view over blue water to the Fox Islands, cover your ears when the fog signal horn sounds, or wander the old keeper’s quarters, restored to 1920’s heyday—two decades after Captain Nelson had gone to his grave.
Tucked between woods and beach in the Leelanau State Park, the lighthouse grounds beg exploring. Whether or not the salty old man makes his presence known, you’ll leave haunted by the beauty of this isolated outpost. 231-386-7195; GRANDTRAVERSELIGHTHOUSE.COM
Want to tour more lighthouses? Choose Lighthouses in this Interactive Map and then plot your tour, including the Upper Peninsula.
Read more about the Grand Traverse Lighthouse before you go:
- Park your car in Northport and bike to the Grand Traverse Lighthouse
Find More Lighthouses
Use this Interactive Map to plot your tour of the region’s lighthouses, including the Upper Peninsula.
Quick Links to More Fun in Leelanau County!
- The Leelanau Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Leelanau Digital Vacation Guide: Browse beautiful pages connecting you to wine tours, great drives, historic Glen Haven, lighthouse tours, canoeing and click to hundreds of websites.
- The Complete Restaurant Guide for Leelanau County: Just type in any Leelanau County town and browse the wonderful array of restaurant options.
- The Leelanau County "Don’t Miss" List
- Video: Sleeping Bear Dunes
- Check out all the music, festivals, arts and events of all kinds happening in Leelanau County: Just pop in the name of the Leelanau County town you’d like to play in and choose amongst hundreds of things to do!
- Plot your day in Leelanau County using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose a Leelanau town for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a cottage in Leelanau County: There are hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you’re interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!