Romance is literally in the air on Mackinac Island, in the scent of the lilacs, the gentle clop of the horses' hooves, the night breezes off the lake. Here is a morning-to-night romantic Mackinac Island day, in three easy steps. Set off in the morning and let the island do the rest.
Arrive early and head hand-in-hand down Main Street to Hotel Iroquois (906-847-3321, IROQUOISHOTEL.COM), where a sumptuous, served-on-china breakfast awaits at the waterfront Carriage House. Indulge in banana-stuffed French toast and watch the waves break on the rocks surrounding Round Island Lighthouse.
Mosey back down Main Street, daydreaming about biking the island. Check out any one of the bike rental stands to pick your transportation for an island tour. Try a tandem—after a few wobbly starts you’ll be cruisin’ in sync around the 8.2-mile island shoreline. Pull off at an empty stretch of sun-bleached beach, and cool your feet with a wade. Be sure you check out Arch Rock, a natural bridge made of brachiated limestone rising 146 feet above the water, about 15 stories. At the south end of the island, stop to share a kiss at the cedar grove where a scene was shot for the romantic classic Somewhere In Time. Find the plaque at the side of the road.
Swing up to the island’s most famous icon, the Grand Hotel (GRANDHOTEL.COM). Fifteen dollars apiece gets non–hotel guests on to the porch— claimed to be the world’s longest. Ease into a rocking chair or head upstairs to the Cupola Bar where you can cuddle up in the royal blue window seats and enjoy a panoramic view of the island as you sip a cocktail.
Click on the 2009 Mackinac Island Vacation Guide
Find ideas, tips and loads of links to fun, food, attractions and recreation to fill your romantic get-away to Mackinac Island!
Quick Links to more Mackinac Island Fun!
- MyNorth Mackinac Island Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- The Complete Mackinac Island Restaurant Guide
- Mackinac Island music, festivals, art exhibits and events of all kinds!
- Video: A Day on Mackinac Island
- Plot your day on Mackinac Island using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I'd like to find" and choose Mackinac Island for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage on Mackinac Island: There are hundreds of cottages for rent in Northern Michigan. Put Mackinac Island in the Search box and you're one step closer to that vacation of your dreams.