Sit back and relax as you wander the Grass River Natural Area, located in Antrim County’s Chain of Lakes region, 4 miles south of Bellaire and 4 miles northeast of Alden. Founded in 1969 as a local grassroots effort to save the area’s wetlands from development, Grass River has grown to encompass 1,325 acres of lakes, rivers, streams, upland forest and floating sedges. The natural area borders all 2.5 miles of the Grass River and over 6 miles of shoreline.
Grass River is a wonderful way to step into a microcosm of northern Michigan habitat and ecology with 400 species of plants, 49 species of mammals and 65 bird species. With 7.5 miles of trails that take you through upland forests and floating sedges and to waterviews and bird-watching spots, you are able to literally lose yourself in the peace and serenity of nature. A Perception Pathway is available for visitors with special needs as it is wheelchair and stroller accessible.
Grass River is open year-round and offers 80 classes in everything from wildflower identification and morel mushroom hunting. For more information call 231-533-8314 of visit GRASSRIVER.ORG.
Click on the 2009 Charlevoix, Torch Lake, Boyne City, Bellaire Vacation Guide
Find ideas, tips and hundreds of links for fun, food, activities and recreation to pack around your visit to Grass River!
More Links to Fun in Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids, Torch Lake and the Chain of Lakes Region!
- The Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids & Torch Lake Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids & Torch Lake Digital Vacation Guide: Browse gorgeous articles connecting you to hikes, festivals, boat rentals, galleries and, of course, the Ironton Ferry and click to hundreds of websites.
- The Charlevoix, Boyne City, Elk Rapids & Torch Lake “Don’t Miss” List
- The Complete Restaurant Guide for Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids & Torch Lake: Just type in any location you’d like to check out and discover a wonderful array of restaurants to try.
- Video: Charlevoix: Sights & Sounds of the Venetian Festival
- Plot your day in Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids & Torch Lake Region using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in “I’d like to find” and choose a town for “in a town near.” Then click away!
- Check out all the music, festivals, arts and events of all kinds happening in Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids, Torch Lake and more: Just pop in the name of the town you’d like to play in and choose amongst hundreds of things to do!
- Rent a cottage in Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids & Torch Lake: There are hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you’re interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!