Here’s your "Don’t Miss" list of things to do, whether you have a week in Traverse City or only a few days. For more ideas, check out the Quick Links at the end of this article.
CANOE THE BOARDMAN
Close to town but serving up long stretches of wild in a deeply forested valley, the Boardman River makes a splendid afternoon getaway. The clear, swift current keeps your attention but is okay for amateurs. RENTALS AT RANCH RUDOLF, 231-947-9529, RANCHRUDOLF.COM.
Get in touch with your inner sea gull. Strap in to the parachute harness and give the thumbs up. Soon it’s just you (and the other gulls) and the breeze high above GT Bay. 10-year track record. TRAVERSE BAY PARASAIL, 888-660-7272, TBPARASAIL.COM.
DENNOS MUSEUM CENTER
A quilt show one month, Andy Warhol’s works the next. The Dennos keeps us surprised with the mix and amazed at the steadfast quality of exhibits. The auditorium also rocks. 231-995-1055, DENNOSMUSEUM.ORG.
Snorkel-able shipwrecks, curious fish schooling along breakwalls and reefs. GT Bay’s cool, crystal H2O. Get a half-day lesson, rental gear and location tips at Scuba North. 231-947-2520 OR GREAT LAKES SCUBA, 231-943-3483.
FRIDAY NIGHT LIVE
Traverse City’s Front Street vibe ramps up to a carnival verve, with street musicians, magicians, food vendors and more Fridays, 5:30 to 9 p.m., July 24-August 28. Check out all of downtown Traverse City events at the Traverse City Downtown Association.
SAND VOLLEYBALL COURT AT WEST END BEACH
You don’t have to be good to play v-ball here, but it helps. Three nets, well maintained courts, that big, luscious bay as a backdrop. It all says summer. Pick-up games nightly. Grandview Parkway, just west of Union Street.
DON’S DRIVE IN
Giant burgers, fresh French fries, sublime strawberry shakes, and that retro music and decor that makes it all taste sweeter. You’ll dig the 1958 authenticity. 2030 U.S. 31 NORTH, 231-938-1860. Find hours for Don’s Drive In here.
TURTLE CREEK CASINO
The Grand Traverse Band spared no expense or imagination on the latest iteration of their casino. Electrified gaming floor vibe, satisfying range of restaurants and bars, hotel rooms swanky and elegant. 800-922-2WIN, TURTLECREEKCASINO.COM.
HORSE SHOWS BY THE BAY
Watch hundreds of the nation’s premier equestrians and their gorgeous mounts compete in dressage, hunters and jumpers events. July 8–August 2, 2009. 231-267-3700, HORSE SHOWSBYTHEBAY.COM.
Click on the 2009 Digital Traverse City Vacation Guide
Find ideas, tips and hundreds of links to more fun, food, activities and recreation in Traverse City!
QUICK LINKS TO MORE FUN IN TRAVERSE CITY!
- The Traverse City Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Traverse City Digital Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete digital Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Traverse City’s Guide to Fun!
- The Complete Traverse City Restaurant Guide
- Flying in or out of Traverse City? Take a video tour of the Cherry Capital Airport to learn all you need to know.
- Plot your day in Traverse City using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Traverse City for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage in Traverse City
- Traverse City music, festivals, arts and hundreds of events
- Beaches near Traverse City