Once upon a time, Glen Haven near Glen Arbor, was a bustling Lake Michigan port village. Nowadays it’s a Sleeping Bear National Park Service-operated time capsule. Pick yourself up some horehound candy at the restored Glen Haven General Store, watch a demo at the Village Blacksmith Shop and learn about classic Great Lakes vessels in what was once an old fruit-canning factory. The old Sleeping Bear Inn is boarded up, but it isn’t hard to imagine lumbermen lollygagging on the porch after a day sawing up the Northwoods. There’s more picturesque history down the road at the Sleeping Bear Coast Guard Staton turned U.S. Coast Guard Museum. When the journey back in time is over, hit the sugar sand beach where the road ends. 231-326-3154. NPS.GOV/SLBE.
Click on the 2014 Digital Leelanau Vacation Guide
Find ideas, tips and hundreds of links to fun, food, activities and recreation to pack around your visit to Glen Haven!
Quick Links to More Fun in Leelanau County!
- The Leelanau Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Leelanau Digital Vacation Guide: Browse beautiful pages connecting you to wine tours, great drives, historic Glen Haven, lighthouse tours, canoeing and click to hundreds of websites.
- The Complete Restaurant Guide for Leelanau County: Just type in any Leelanau County town and browse the wonderful array of restaurant options.
- Video: Sleeping Bear Dunes
- Check out all the music, festivals, arts and events of all kinds happening in Leelanau County: Just pop in the name of the Leelanau County town you’d like to play in and choose amongst hundreds of things to do!
- Plot your day in Leelanau County using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in “I’d like to find” and choose a Leelanau town for “in a town near.” Then click away!
- Rent a cottage in Leelanau County: There are hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you’re interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!