The Mackinac Island Hotel Company broke ground on the Grand Hotel in 1887, with a dream of building a summer playground for America’s wealthy, a luxe escape from the swelter and miasma of Victorian-era cities. What’s advertised as the world’s longest porch was perhaps even more famous then than now, renowned as a place of high-society romantic possibilities and nicknamed “flirtation walk.” Legend has it that officers from the nearby fort were told to visit the porch in uniform to chat with the ladies on island summer eves. Settle into a rocker for $15. 800-33GRAND, GRANDHOTEL.COM.
Click on the 2009 issue of the Mackinac Vacation Guide
Find ideas, tips and hundreds of links to fun, food, activities and recreation to pack around your siesta on the Grand Hotel porch!
Quick Links to more Mackinac Island Fun!
- MyNorth Mackinac Island Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- The Complete Mackinac Island Restaurant Guide
- Mackinac Island music, festivals, art exhibits and events of all kinds!
- Video: A Day on Mackinac Island
- Plot your day on Mackinac Island using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I'd like to find" and choose Mackinac Island for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage on Mackinac Island: There are hundreds of cottages for rent in Northern Michigan. Put Mackinac Island in the Search box and you're one step closer to that vacation of your dreams.