Dolores Dombrouski started her House of Pies in her hometown of Onaway, with a few rhubarb pies sold in front of her antique shop. Then, joined by her daughter Cindy Sischo, outgrew pie shops in Cheboygan and Petoskey before finding home in the sweet little yellow house facing Crooked Lake in Oden.
There’s no denying the pair’s fabulous fruit pies are an Up North staple in summertime, but the week before Thanksgiving just may take the cake: demand surges so high, the pair enlists the help of 31 other family members to keep the place pumping out pies 24 hours a day. Says Sischo, “That’s how they get their dinner. They wait on the customers, do the dishes, and keep the showcase filled. We have Thanksgiving dinner here at the pie shop. We fill the ovens with four turkeys, baked beans and everything else.”
Which pie will you try? The pair’s specialty is cream pies—think coconut, banana, pineapple, butterscotch and nearly a dozen more—but if you want to go true North, slice into one of these sweet summer specials: the mile-high Michigan strawberry pie or the award-winning cherry crumb, made with the finest Montmorency cherries trucked up from orchards around Traverse City. Find House of Pies 8 miles north of Petoskey. 4577 North on U.S. 31. 231-347-6525, HOUSEOFPIES.NET.
More Links to Fun in Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor and the Little Traverse Region!
- The Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Guide: Browse gorgeous articles connecting you to perfect beaches, Bayview Festivals, the Tunnel of Trees, ethnic eats and more.and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: A Day in Petoskey
- The Complete Dining Guide for Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor: Just pop in the location where you’d like to eat and browse the wonderful array of restaurant choices.
- Plot your day in Petoskey/Harbor Springs using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Petoskey, Harbor Springs or a nearby town for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Check out all the music, festivals, art and events of all kinds happening in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Torch Lake!
- Rent a cottage in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor: There hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you’re interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!