The crack of the bat against the thin leather of a baseball, the sound of the announcer echoing across the field, the cheers of the crowd when the home team gets a run—come summertime, baseball in a northern resort town is a sweet ritual for everyone. You’ll agree when you lounge on the lawn or in the seats of Wuerfel Park stadium, taking in Traverse City’s own professional baseball team, the Beach Bums.
The stadium, done in white and embracing an immaculate, emerald field, presents an ideal setting for a game. But unlike a pro-ball game, a Beach Bums game is an intimate, fun, lighthearted event—players even greet fans. Stepping into Wuerfel Park is like stepping back in time, when baseball was just about two groups of guys, knocking a ball around and having a good time in front of the locals. And at a Bums game, that feeling is infectious. Three miles south of Grand Traverse Mall on U.S. 31. Regular season runs May 22–September 6. 231-943-0100, TRAVERSECITYBEACHBUMS.COM.
Click on the 2009 Traverse City Vacation Guide
Find ideas, tips and hundreds of links to fun, food, activities, restaurants and lodging to pack around your Beach Bums ball game
QUICK LINKS TO MORE FUN IN TRAVERSE CITY!
- The Traverse City Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Traverse City Digital Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete digital Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Traverse City’s Guide to Fun!
- The Complete Traverse City Restaurant Guide
- Plot your day in Traverse City using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Traverse City for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage in Traverse City
- Traverse City music, festivals, arts and hundreds of events