Here's your "must do" list, whether you're on Mackinac Island for the day or the week.
Walk amid hundreds of exotic butterflies from four continents living in a botanical garden. The adjacent Insect World boasts loads of giant insects (in cages, thankfully). 906.847.3972, ORIGINALBUTTERFLYHOUSE.COM.
MADAME LA FRAMBOISE
She became one of early America’s wealthiest women after taking over her murdered husband’s fur business at 26. Her home has become the Harbour View Inn, and her burial site (died 1846) is at Ste. Anne’s Church. MACKINACISLAND.ORG.
Built as a home for a band of idealists called the Moral Rearmament Society, and now a family resort with elegant restaurant, 18-hole putting green, a museum in a tower with fantastic views and more. 800-833-7711, MISSIONPOINT.COM.
POET JIM LENFESTEY
His poetry classes in the Audubon Bar at the Grand Hotel are free, enlightening and even moving. (Free entrance to the fabled hotel.) 10:45 a.m., Wednesdays, July and August. 800-33-GRAND, GRANDHOTEL.COM.
ISLAND INTERIOR TRAILS BY HORSEBACK
The island rocks with celebration at the finish line of two world-renowned sailing races each July. The Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac and the Bayview Port Huron to Mackinac Race. MACKINACISLAND.ORG.
Quick Links to more Mackinac Island Fun!
- MyNorth Mackinac Island Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- The Complete Mackinac Island Restaurant Guide
- Mackinac Island music, festivals, art exhibits and events of all kinds!
- Video: A Day on Mackinac Island
- Plot your day on Mackinac Island using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I'd like to find" and choose Mackinac Island for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage on Mackinac Island: There are hundreds of cottages for rent in Northern Michigan. Put Mackinac Island in the Search box and you're one step closer to that vacation of your dreams.