It’s a veritable craft beer bonanza in town:
Mackinaw Brewing Company
This brew pub loves to pair their beer with their food. Their Peninsula Pale Ale, an American Style Pale Ale, is suggested for BBQ and Buffalo Wings, Beadle’s Best Bitter is a classic-English style brew served best with full-out ribs and Harvest Moon Oatmeal Stout is a suggested after-dinner sipper. Located in the heart of downtown, the bar and restaurant are fashioned after the inside of a Great Lakes vessel. (161 E. FRONT ST., 231-933-1100, MACKINAWBREWING.COM)
Right Brain Brewery
Right Brain is a non-smoking bar and micro-brewery with a great style. They want you to come as you are to the Warehouse District in Traverse City and test one of their (usually) 12 Northern Michigan beers—and they only sell their own. Read their menu just to enjoy the names: Waltzing Matilda Rye Amber Ale, a full bodied beer with hop presence; Ancho Chili Dutch Double Chocolate Porter, made with dried poblano peppers, chocolate malt and lots of real Dutch Chocolate; and Distill My Heart Bourbon Street (the nice vanilla tones come from the Woodford Reserve bourbon barrels. Oh, and need a haircut? Check out the Salon Saloon where you can get a clip while you sip. (221 GARLAND ST., 231-944-1239, RIGHTBRAINBREWERY.COM)
Kilkenny’s Irish Public House
Located on the garden level below North Peak Brewing Company in Traverse City, Kilkenny’s has the dark and cozy feel of a true Irish pub. Leinster Irish Lager, a golden lager, is named after the Irish province of Leinster where the town of Kilkenny is located. Marble City Red is a nitrogenized Irish Red Ale, brewed with a smidgen of hops and named for Kilkenny’s many footpaths and buildings constructed with marble quarried near the town. And the fruity hop aroma of Saint Canice Pale Ale is named for St. Canice, the patron saint of the shipwrecked. (400 W. FRONT ST., 231-941-7325, KILKENNY’SPUB.COM)
Jolly Pumpkin Old Mission
Jolly Pumpkin Old Mission is the newest addition to the Traverse City brew world, a delicious partnering of Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales out of Dexter and the creations of Chef Paul Olson of Bowers Harbor Inn. Located behind the Inn, Jolly Pumpkin Old Mission’s head brewer, Mike Hall, has put together a list of brews that include North Peak’s Majestic Wheat made with Michigan-grown hops as well as award-winning beers crafted by Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales using an open fermentation process and conditioned in oak casks. These delicious beers are paired with Olson’s menu that puts his own spin on comfort foods. Pizzas include Pancetta Pie or Smoked BBQ Chicken, there are Kobe Beer Burgers and even parmesan-crusted Mac & Cheese. (13512 PENINSULA DR., OLD MISSION PENINSULA, 231-223-4222, BOWERSHARBORINN.NET).
Buy the Microbrew Issue Now! Read about the brains behind Right Brain Brewery, chart your own microbrew tour, learn about Jolly Pumpkin and Northern Michigan hops!
More About Northern Michigan Beers
- Take Your Own Northern Michigan Microbrew Tour
- Long Days for Joe Short, Brewmaster
- Video: Traverse City Brewers Show You How It’s Done
- The Creative World of Traverse City’s Right Brain Brewery
- Follow the Hops Trail to Northern Michigan Microbrews
- Northern Michigan Microbrews Are Winners in This Poll
- Jolly Pumpkin Sets Up Shop on Old Mission
- Locally Grown Hops from Old Mission Flavor New Ale
- Brewie File: Tom Buchanan
- So A Girl Walks Into A Bar: Traverse City Nightlife
Click on the 2009 Traverse City Vacation Guide
Filled with ideas, tips and hundreds of links to pack fun, food, activities and recreation around your Traverse City brew pub visits!
Quick Links to More Fun in Traverse City!
- The Traverse City Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Traverse City Digital Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete digital Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Traverse City’s Guide to Fun!
- The Complete Traverse City Restaurant Guide
- Flying in or out of Traverse City? Take a video tour of the Cherry Capital Airport to learn all you need to know.
- Plot your day in Traverse City using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Traverse City for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage in Traverse City
- Traverse City music, festivals, arts and hundreds of events
- Beaches near Traverse City