A visit to Petoskey State Park (2475 M-119, 231-347-2311)—a wildly beautiful oasis of dune, forest and crystalline bay water—is a must for beach and nature lovers. Although just minutes from downtown Petoskey and Harbor Springs, the park’s dune-backed beaches feel miles from anywhere. Pick your own quiet spot in the sun or stroll the shoreline on a photo-safari search for Michigan’s protected Pitcher’s thistle plant, which grows only on Great Lakes coasts. You’ll find forest hiking trails and campsites galore behind the beach.
The swimming is equally good and smack-dab downtown at Harbor Springs’ Zorn Park (151 WEST BAY STREET). The small beach, which boasts a floating raft at the far end of the designated swimming area, a petite playground and, often, life- guards, is a great spot for families.
Looking to cast away farther North? Just five miles north of Cross Village is Sturgeon Bay Dunes (shown) (231-347-0991, LANDTRUST.ORG), an infinitely sublime but little-visited haven you likely won’t have to share with anyone except the resident piping plovers.
More Links to Fun in Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor and the Little Traverse Region!
- The Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Guide: Browse gorgeous articles connecting you to perfect beaches, Bayview Festivals, the Tunnel of Trees, ethnic eats and more.and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: A Day in Petoskey
- The Complete Dining Guide for Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor: Just pop in the location where you'd like to eat and browse the wonderful array of restaurant choices.
- Plot your day in Petoskey/Harbor Springs using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I'd like to find" and choose Petoskey, Harbor Springs or a nearby town for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Check out all the music, festivals, art and events of all kinds happening in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Torch Lake!
- Rent a cottage in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor: There hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you're interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!