The only thing better than playing 18 holes on a sunny summer day in Northern Michigan is receiving a rebate to put toward your next round of golf just for playing those 18 holes, or maybe lessons from world-renowned golf instructor Rick Smith. Here are two Up North golf opportunities that caught our eye this week.
First Rate Instruction for Young Golfers
For those golfers looking to engage in healthy competition while simultaneously fine-tuning their swing—specifically those golfers age 18 and under—Treetops Resort in Gaylord, has just the thing. The Rick Smith Junior Team Championship, which will take place August 23–26, gives youth (who are not enrolled in college) the opportunity to take instruction from Rick Smith, Treetops owner and managing partner. In 2008 the academy received a spot on the list of Top 25 Golf Schools in America. Participants can room solo (or with a chaperon) for $595, or pair two participants in a room for $495 to guarantee three nights and four days at the resort. The price also covers a welcome banquet hosted by Smith, three days of instruction and competition and an awards presentation to wrap up the event. Commuters pay $385 per participant. For more information about The Rick Smith Junior Team Championship, call 407-420-1500.
King’s Challenge Deal
Just nine miles from the heart of Glen Arbor stands the newly renovated King’s Challenge Golf Course. The course, which closed for construction in May, reopened to the public July 10—though the grand opening is scheduled for early August. However, The Homestead will provide a special deal for golfers who are willing to play amid the finishing phase of construction and don’t want to wait for early August to tee up. From July 10 through the grand opening, $70 will buy you 18 holes, a cart and a $15 rebate to use on your next round. The rebate expires September 30. If you’d rather wait for the finished product, call 231-334-5900 and schedule a tee time for the course’s official grand opening in August. The course is currently open seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Find more great golf ideas Up North
- Use this interactive map to find golf courses in Northern Michigan
- More great articles on Golf in Northern Michigan
Quick Links to More Fun in Leelanau County!
- The Leelanau Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Leelanau Digital Vacation Guide: Browse beautiful pages connecting you to wine tours, great drives, historic Glen Haven, lighthouse tours, canoeing and click to hundreds of websites.
- The Complete Restaurant Guide for Leelanau County: Just type in any Leelanau County town and browse the wonderful array of restaurant options.
- Video: Sleeping Bear Dunes
- Check out all the music, festivals, arts and events of all kinds happening in Leelanau County: Just pop in the name of the Leelanau County town you’d like to play in and choose amongst hundreds of things to do!
- Plot your day in Leelanau County using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose a Leelanau town for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a cottage in Leelanau County: There are hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you’re interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!