The best seat in the house—and maybe the North—may be inside Thorne Swift Nature Preserve’s open-air pagoda in the woods. Just a quick skip over a footbridge and into the forest from the parking lot, the sweet-smelling cedar nook is surrounded by trees. A roof stands atop tall shingled pillars in case of rain, but even it doesn’t obstruct the forest view; four giant skylights let the sunshine in.
Settle for a spell, then strike out on the Cedar Trail to the shore. The route is easy—a half mile of boardwalk and mulched path—and stunning in fall. Maple, ash, tamarack, dogwood and juneberry trees mix with trickling streams and make for one of the best birding spots in the region. Stop, look and listen as long as you’d like. When you’re ready, continue down the path to the beach. Large boulders sit at the shore’s edge, worn slick as seal backs from Lake Michigan’s waves. Speckled alder and chokecherries ring the beach. Stretch those shoulders with some stone skipping, then finish the loop by hopping on the Beech Trail. Another half-miler, this one does the lower body good, rising up above the water and the forest floor before curling back to the trailhead.
Find the Thorne Swift Nature Preserve 4 miles north of Harbor Springs on Lower Shore Drive. The preserve and on-site Elizabeth Kennedy Nature Center nature center are open daily 10:00 AM to one- half hour after sunset from Memorial Day to Labor Day. landtrust.org.
More Links to Fun in Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor and the Little Traverse Region!
- The Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Guide: Browse gorgeous articles connecting you to perfect beaches, Bayview Festivals, the Tunnel of Trees, ethnic eats and more.and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: A Day in Petoskey
- The Complete Dining Guide for Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor: Just pop in the location where you’d like to eat and browse the wonderful array of restaurant choices.
- Plot your day in Petoskey/Harbor Springs using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Petoskey, Harbor Springs or a nearby town for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Check out all the music, festivals, art and events of all kinds happening in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Torch Lake!
- Rent a cottage in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor: There hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you’re interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!