No need to dream about going back in time—simply transport yourself to Mackinac Island. Like Somewhere in Time, the 1980 film that made the wee 8-miles-round island a national celebrity, this place rolls to a classic soundtrack: the clip-clop of horses hooves on cobblestone streets, the creak of carriage wheels and the lapping waves of the surrounding Straits (but never, ever a car engine; the island banned autos long ago). Take a video vacation to Mackinac Island and watch A Day on Mackinac Island.
What to do in such vintage bliss? Stop and smell the island’s lilacs, savor its sweet fudge (you’ll find fresh hunks at nearly a dozen shops on Main Street), see—and hear!—a cannon fire at Fort Mackinac, ride a bicycle built for two, play a round of golf at two century-old golf courses, stroll arm in arm along the world’s longest porch at the Grand Hotel—or take a hint from history and do exactly what the island’s Victorian visitors did at Mackinac Island: relax..
Quick Links to more Mackinac Island Fun!
- MyNorth Mackinac Island Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- The Mackinac Island "Don’t Miss" List
- The Complete Mackinac Island Restaurant Guide
- Mackinac Island music, festivals, art exhibits and events of all kinds!
- Video: A Day on Mackinac Island
- Plot your day on Mackinac Island using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Mackinac Island for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage on Mackinac Island: There are hundreds of cottages for rent in Northern Michigan. Put Mackinac Island in the Search box and you’re one step closer to that vacation of your dreams.