This recipe has appeared in Joy since the 1931 edition. If you want them chewy and moist, use a 13-by-9-inch pan; if cakey, a 9-by-9-inch pan.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a baking pan lined with foil. Melt in a small saucepan:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- Let cool. If you don’t, your brownies will be heavy and dry. Beat until light in color and foamy in texture:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Gradually add and continue beating until thick:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
With a few swift strokes, stir in the cooled chocolate mixture until just combined. Even if you are using an electric mixer, switch to a wooden spoon for this. Stir in just until combined:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Gently stir in, if desired: 1 cup chopped pecans
Scrape batter into the prepared pan. Bake about 25 minutes. Cool completely in the pan on a rack. Garnish with whipped cream (recipe follows). Makes about 30 brownies.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
Beat in a chilled bowl with chilled beaters at high or medium-high speed until thickened:
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
If desired, add and beat to the desired consistency: (2 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 to 4 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar, 2 teaspoons honey, or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla) Makes 2 to 2 1/2 cups.