Take a break from the trail by swinging into Peninsula Market (14111 Center Road, 231-223-9500) for deli sandwiches ordered to go. Detour down Bowers Harbor Road and enjoy your lunch alfresco under one of the picnic shells at sunny Bowers Harbor Park, where you can stretch your legs on the walking path. Double back to Bowers Harbor Vineyards (231-223-7615, bowersharbor.com) for the tasty vineyard-designated Riesling and a wonderful Pinot Grigio.
Drift back to your car via the dreamy trellised walkway, with grape vines and climbing hydrangea threading up above. Return to Center Road and drive onward past cherry orchards, sweeping vistas and roadside fruit stands where you can dawdle over preserves and homemade honey.
Château Chantal (231-223-4110, chateauchantal.com) is a beautiful hilltop winery and B&B with on-high views of both East and West Bays. Go for the Select Harvest Chardonnay or the phenomenal Proprietor’s Reserve Blend Riesling, or stand on the patio out back and breathe in the scenery. Then, come back inside and end the day on a sweet note by sampling the award winning fortified Cerise, a blend of cherry wine and distilled whole tart cherries.
The newest winery on the peninsula, Two Lads Winery (231-223-7722, 2Lwinery.com) has show-stopping scenery, a hip tasting room and some amazing sparkling wines. For summer-perfect sips, take home a bottle of the dry sparkling wine, a delicate and creamy blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc.
Tips, Tours and Travel in Traverse City, Old Mission and Leelanau Wine Country
- Romancing the Riesling
- Riesling on the Rise
- The Ultimate Summer Wine List
- Old Mission Peninsula Wine Country
- Northern Michigan Sparkling Wines
- Water and Wine Weekends
- Michigan Beer and Wine Dinners at Boyne
- Traverse City’s Urban Winery
- See Wine Country by Bike
- Subscribe to MyNorth’s Food & Wine Newsletter: It’s free!
Quick Links to More Fun in the Traverse City region
- The Traverse City Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Traverse City Digital Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete digital Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Traverse City’s Guide to Fun!
- The Complete Traverse City Restaurant Guide
- Flying in or out of Traverse City? Take a video tour of the Cherry Capital Airport to learn all you need to know.
- Plot your day in Traverse City using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Traverse City for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage in Traverse City
- Traverse City music, festivals, arts and hundreds of events
- Beaches near Traverse City
Emily Bingham is assitant editor at Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine[email protected]
Note: This article was first published in April 2007 and was updated for the web February 2008.